Valentine’s Day can be a fun day to celebrate with your family. One thing many people don’t like is that it’s a “Hallmark Holiday” and they don’t want to spend a lot of money at the stores. We found a great DIY Valentine’s Day light bulb from designsponge.com. We love the idea of a DIY Valentine’s Day light bulb because it is both cute & thoughtful!
What You’ll Need:
1) thin gauge wire (red or another color), available in craft stores
2) a standard incandescent bulb (do not use flurescent or halogen bulbs)
3) a pair of pliers
4) a screwdriver
5) a pair of safety goggles
6) wood cube (either a scrap piece or one from a craft store)
7) 2 decorative push pins
8) card stock paper & pen
9) a pair of wire cutters
10) a hot glue gun
This DIY Valentine’s Day Light Bulb takes approximately one hour to complete.
1) Find a large work area. Make sure it is large enough to allow for the potential glass chunks that can jump off the base when you crack the glass.
2) Check out teamdroid.com for instructions on how to hollow out your DIY Valentine’s Day Light Bulb.
3) When your bulb is prepped, wipe the outside clean of any smudges. Place the light bulb in a safe place.
4) Take 10 inches of wire and fold it into a heart shaped “filament”. It is easiest to do this if you fold the wire in half then unfold. Approximately an inch from the crease, take both of the wire ends and loop them around to create two heart halves. Pull both wires back down, overlapping across the center of the crease & extending them beyond the heart shape. Tweak your heart shape until it is the way you like it. Be sure it is no wider than ½” so that it will fit through the base of the light bulb.
5) repeat step 4 to create as many heart filaments as you’d like in your DIY Valentine’s Day Light Bulb.
6) Grab your bulb & hold up your filaments to see how long the stems should be. If they need to be trimmed so that they are centered inside the bulb, use your pliers to cut off the extras. Now is also a good time to be sure your filaments will fit inside of your bulb.
7) Poke your filaments down into the top of the wood. If your wood is too firm, use a hammer & nail to get the process started. After your filaments are in place, you may want to secure them further with your glue gun.
8) Place your bulb over the filaments & glue it to the wood base.
9) Write out your love note on your card stock. Take the push pins and secure it to the front of your piece of wood.
Your DIY Valentine’s Day Light Bulb is sure to brighten up your loved one’s day! Happy Valentine’s Day from our team here at Trinity Electrical & Radon Mitigation, Inc.!
Check out our Facebook page for pictures!