Radon poisoning is a direct result of having too much exposure to radon. Though radon naturally occurs from the breakdown of uranium in the soil, it is highly radioactive. There is no such thing as a “safe” amount of radon exposure. The EPA has set an action level, which is 4.0pCi/L, but even at lower concentrations, radon is dangerous.
What are the symptoms of Radon Poisoning?
Long-term exposure to radon can cause many health issues. The Radon Center suggests that lung problems, such as a persistent cough, wheezing, heavy breathing & lung infections can be the result of radon exposure. All of these symptoms are also early signs of lung cancer. Radon poisoning is the second leading cause of lung cancer overall, and the first leading cause among nonsmokers. According to the CDC, 7 out of every 1,000 nonsmokers will develop lung cancer due to radon exposure. If you are a current or past smoker with exposure to radon, your risk of developing lung cancer is much higher.
What can you do about Radon Poisoning?
Since radon is an odorless, tasteless & colorless gas, the only way to know if you are being exposed to radon is to have your home tested. If your levels come back higher than 4.0 pCi/L, you shoulddefinitely have a radon mitigation system installed. Even if your levels come back lower, it is a good idea to consider the installation of a remediation system. While you can install this system yourself, there are many stipulations (including it cannot be done yourself while your home is listed for sale). To guarantee proper installation, which greatly reduces your risk of radon poisoning, it is best to have a licensed Radon Professional install your mitigation system.
If you have any questions about Radon & Radon Poisoning, we’re here to help! Give our offices a call at 630-499- 1492 to speak with one of our licensed Radon Professionals today.